Thursday, June 17, 2010

CSA Week 2


All this research and talk about sugar has kind of got me down this week. It is a little depressing, no? So while I had planned to devote an entire week to the story of sugar, I need a break. And I bet some of you guys do too.

This week at the CSA we got Bok Choy (not sure what to do with it this week), Vita Greens (I chose this over the Kale), Radishes, Romaine Lettuce, Arugula, Spinach, Snow Peas and Garlic Scapes. For fruit, we got strawberries. The strawberries have pretty much been eaten already.

Last week I accidentally discovered a great side dish. Brown rice with sauteed vegetables. It is kind of a tasty non-chinese fried rice, or a vegetable-y rice pilaf. Truly it is a side dish that is neither here nor there. But that is part of it's charm.

A Really Great Side Dish
Saute one half a diced medium onion and a diced carrot in olive oil until soft. Add several chopped leaves of large mature greens. Vita Greens, Spinach, Kale, Swiss Chard or any other green that sautees nicely would work. When the greens look just cooked, add already cooked brown rice. If you are adding leftover rice from the fridge, go the extra step and microwave it for a couple seconds to warm it up. I always like adding warm rice to a recipe like this rather than cold rice. I also like an equal ratio of rice to greens, but I am a real veggie lover. You could add more rice and make it more like a pilaf.

I have such a hectic time getting dinner on the table on a weeknight, I am down to one side dish most nights. This would be a great thing to put with grilled or baked chicken or even slices of a leftover turkey breast. It really is a delicious addition to any meat or fish. The carrot makes it really yummy and sweet. One of these days I am banking that Thing 1 will eat this.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHA!! Last night, before reading this, I made brown rice and asparagus with szchezuan sauce. Nice.

    ReplyDelete