Friday, January 7, 2011

Coconut Flour Pumpkin Pancakes

I am sooooo embarrassed that I have no pictures. I forgot to take pictures the morning I made the pancakes. Then the kids ate the leftovers. Now only one cold pancake sits half eaten with tiny teeth marks in it in my fridge. I could take a picture of it, but I didn't think it would do the recipe justice. So, You are all big kids. Use your imagination, just make sure your image includes steam and a pool of maple syrup on one side.

I usually wake up on Sunday mornings (my morning to sleep in) to a hot breakfast prepared by DH and the kids. It is awesome. But usually it is an explosion of wheat, like buttered toast or classic pancakes. Even though we use 100% whole wheat flour, I just kinda like breakfast to be wheat free....is that too much to ask? But I don't have the heart to tell DH that I want him to make something else. I mean I am sleeping in only to wake up to a hot breakfast. I am not going to bitch.

But last Sunday Morning I let DH sleep in. And I set out to prove to him just how little wheat I could use in my pancakes. Let me also be completely proud and tell you that after I looked at a couple of recipes online, I made this one up completely. I felt kinda.....powerful!

Coconut Flour Pumpkin Pancakes (with some whole wheat flour)

The Dry Ingredients:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Cinnamon and nutmeg and ground ginger to taste (I have no idea how much I added)

The Wet Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup of whole milk
1/4 cup of rapadura, whole cane sugar or any other sugar you have (funny how that qualifies as a wet ingredient, right?)

Get your griddle or pan started, I use that Cuisinart Griddler which is seriously worth every penny. I make paninis almost every weekend, they are ridiculous. Then in a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together and in a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients together and beat the eggs. Yes, I know that sugar is not a wet ingredient, but beating with the eggs and milk will help it dissolve. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry bowl and bring it all together. The batter will be lumpy. Add some butter to the griddle and fry those suckers up.

They tasted a bit like pumpkin souffles, very tender and soft. The kids loved them. I felt like they were eating veggies for breakfast, and they were focused on the maple syrup. You know what? Their behavior was good all morning, no temper tantrums, no sugar crash. I am happy with this recipe because I know that my Things are getting what they need to be fully nourished. I also wanted to top the pancakes with pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds and chopped pecans. But I only had the sesame seeds, too bad.

Try these--they are really awesome!

1 comment:

  1. This looks SOOOOOOOOOOOO good! I can't wait to try them!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for making up the recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete