Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Winter CSA Share #4


Saturday we got our fourth and final Winter CSA share. And what a share! This was probably my favorite of all of them. In the sturdy box we got one large bag of spinach (spinach!!!) and chard leaves, 7 or 8 apples (I don't remember), one bulb of celeriac, one fat butternut squash, a bag of dried dill, a netted bag of potatoes, a bag of beets that I won't be eating, sweet potatoes and onions, a half gallon of cider, a bag of carrots and a miraculous bag of dried black beans and dried hot chilies! WooHoo!
The beans did it for me. I struggle to make our CSA veggies into anything other than side dishes. I probably don't work hard enough. But I love the beans because they really are a main course. I cannot wait to eat them. Even if the kids might not...or won't.
I am so sad to see the CSA go. It will be late in June before we have more deliveries, and of course, we will have to pay for it all in between now and then. But for now we will munch on our beans and put spinach on everything. Bye Bye CSA!





3 comments:

  1. Main dish recipe for your butternut:
    Roast butternut squash salad with tahini dressing

    For salad:
    one medium butternut squash (approx. 2 lb.) peeled, seeded, cubed in 1-1/2" chunks
    garlic clove, pressed
    1 tsp. cumin
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    kosher salt
    15 oz. can chickpeas
    1/4 of medium red onion, finely chopped

    For tahini sauce:
    garlic clove, pressed
    3 Tbsp. lemon juice (I added zest as well)
    3 Tbsp. well-stirred tahini
    2 Tbsp. water
    2 Tbsp. olive oil

    Preheat oven to 425. In a large bowl, combine squash, garlic, cumin, olive oil and salt. Toss well and turn onto large rimmed baking sheet. Bake 15-25 minutes, until soft. Remove from oven and cool.

    Whisk tahini sauce ingredients together, adding more olive oil to taste.

    To assemble salad, combine the squash, chickpeas and onion in bowl. Add tahini sauce to taste, or allow individuals to dress their own. I mixed it all in and reheated leftovers. It was amazing over field greens with shredded carrots, and warmed up in pitas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You HAVE to try chocolate beet cake! It is DELICIOUS! I'm sure you could adapt this kind of a recipe somehow: http://whippedtheblog.com/2007/02/23/the-best-chocolate-cake-my-most-secret-ingredient/.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted David Liebowitz's celeriac soup a while back. Light and delicious.

    ReplyDelete